Tuesday, June 16, 2009

He is...


The first and last thought of my day. Sometimes it is what gets me through the day and sometimes it just makes the day seem unbearably long and painful. I never know which one will greet me in the morning. Today it is the good feeling. I am off to Brooks Hardware to buy a new mailbox. They open at 7:30 and I want to get this done before the heat of the day. I didn't realize how many little things Steve did for me. Because I am vertically challenged, he used to get all the things down from the top shelves that I needed or wanted. He changed the smoke alarm batteries, the light bulbs and helped me take down the light covers so I could wash them every spring. He killed all the flying or crawling critters that got into my house because I am such "a girl" about this stuff. Looks like I am going to have to take care of this one myself but I have my sons-in-law to help me with all the others.

ETA: I came back from the hardware store a little melancholy. I chatted with Stan Welty about Steve. He gave his condolences and said he was so sad about what happened. He told me that Steve had just been in the store a couple of days before his accident. When I got home I just sat in the Excursion staring off at our place. I have no idea how long I sat there. Again, the sadness has hit me and I struggle to get away from it. On the upside the mailbox only cost me a hundred and seventy, thank goodness.

No comments: