Monday, September 24, 2007

So sad...


Norma and I went in to see Grandma Lucille yesterday. She was very happy to see us. Aunt Mary and cousin Deidre were already there visiting. Of course, Grandma is very upset that she has been taken out of her home and "dumped" in the nursing home. It is so sad to see her this unhappy. I can not imagine putting your own mother in a place that she doesn't want to be. What kind of a person ignores the wishes of a loved one? Sure Grandma is elderly, she will be 94, has memory losses but she has always told everyone that she wanted to remain in her home. There are so many ways to handle this kind of situation but Aunt Cheryl has chosen the one that made her mother, her siblings and the rest of the family extremely upset and mad. Steve says he believes that Cheryl thinks in her own twisted way that she is doing what is best for Grandma. This has turned out to be a true nightmare...

2 comments:

angie said...

it really is too bad that steves aunt couldn't find an alternative and not upset everyone so badly. by the way Mary Lou, I loved the cards for the class...you are so creative!
Angei O : )

Janet said...

After reading Sarah's post I had to have coffee with her and lend an ear... I can relate since my family went through the same thing with my paternal grandmother... my dad / stepmom wanted to put her in a home that was a good 2 hours away from EVERYONE... so I found one that was much closer (ok, so maybe it wasn't as GRAND as the one they found) which meant that we could spend a lot more time with her when we were in town and my mom got to visit her regularly too (which probably frosted their hides a lot too - WHATEVER!) I believe when you are in your 90's you have earned the right to have a few accommodations thrown your way. I am keeping Lucille in my thoughts as this all unfolds...