Friday, April 4, 2008

Turbo Tax...

God bless the people who developed this software, it sure makes doing the taxes so much easier. I remember how hard it was to read and understand the Paperwork Reduction Act that the federal government came up with many years ago. I hated this time of year. Steve and I paid hundreds of dollars a couple years in a row to a tax preparer because we couldn't make heads or tails out of the tax forms. When Steve figured we would pay another $400 to get our taxes done he decided to buy the Turbo Tax software. At $40 and help from their online services I did the taxes. From then on it has been little old me sorting and suffering through the paperwork so we could file the taxes. It is fairly easy for us since we sort our receipts monthly and file them in folders labeled taxes. But our children have not gotten quite there yet. Lisa is better about her tax stuff because she has student loan interest that she can deduct. Sarah does not understand the whole tax thing and admits so. So I have to remind them to make sure to keep records of anything that might impact their tax status. Since both of them will have changes in their tax situation next year I told them to keep everything. Then at the end of the year we will throw out anything they don't need. I hope I don't have to do this next year because I really don't like the stress...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

look, its not my fault i slept through that part of economics. it's boring, ok? and it involves MATH. c'mon.