Monday, September 27, 2010

Warm yesterday...

Cool and wet today. Yep, weather in the Northwest. This time of year you need to dress for what the current weather conditions are and be able to adapt for the change that will occur. When I first moved here I thought I would never like it. I was hundreds of miles from my family in California. I barely knew my 'new' family and I was extremely homesick.

Then school started and I met more wonderful people than I could have imagined. The pace of life was so much more laid back. Oh, and the drivers way more courteous and aware. But the weather conditions in the winter were scary at times. I had never driven in the snow let alone black ice and the constant wet weather was depressing. I found that I had to make some mental adjustments if I was to survive. 

I learned to drive in the snow and to avoid driving when there was black ice. I found hobbies that kept me occupied when the weather would depress me. I also rediscovered my love of reading. So there were plenty of trips to the library for Sarah and I while Lisa was in school. We also took advantage of the bookmobile that stopped at the school every three weeks. I strongly believe that this was when Sarah developed her love of reading.

Steve's family made the transition easier too. They didn't just get together for birthday's and holidays they enjoyed spending time together. So we frequently did dinner at his folks and played games. The game of choice was pinochle. I had never played before so I got a crash course and learned to play. I still struggle with it but I have lots of fun. We taught the girls to play but they were never keen on the game. I think it was because Steve was determined to play as a family and he could get pretty intense playing. Not a lot of fun for us 'newbies'. 

Then I thought I didn't have enough hobbies and got into scrapbooking. Oh boy, it hooked me and took over. I absolutely love it. Not only because I am preserving memories but because I have made some of best friends I could ever wish to have. These ladies are smart, creative, loyal and loads of fun. They along with my family became my rock when Steve passed away. 

Sometimes I think that saying 'thank you' is never enough. I want you all know that "I love you" and always will...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

liar - you never drive in the snow!