Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Two years...

I keep trying to wrap my brain around this fact. It seems like only yesterday I was wondering why Steve wasn't answering his phone at just a little after eight in the morning. He should have been at work by then since he left at a little after seven. What prompted my calling him, which I rarely did, at that time of the morning you might ask? I had been watching the news as I always did and there was a report of a small plane crash. I had the oddest feeling so I called him. When I got no answer it kicked my 'worry' mode into gear. I shut off the television. From there on in the time frame of how things happened got very fuzzy.

My worst fear was about to be moved into a frenzy when I received a call from a reporter with the Oregonian. She wanted to confirm that Steve was the owner of N9996D and if he had been flying that morning. She even had the nerve to ask if I was sure he was the one flying the plane. She then told me there had been a plane crash, I don't remember what I said but it caused her to respond with "Oh my God". Because she then apologized and then hung up. My next call was to Kelly, Steve's boss to ask him if he had seen Steve yet that morning. I told him about the reporter and then I could hear what I believe were his keys in his pocket as he ran outside to the parking lot to see if Steve's motorcycle was there. It was not and then Kelly said I will call you back. I remember calling my neighbor Mary and after that things all happened in somewhat of a blur. How much time had passed from then to when I had a Marion County Sheriff knocking on my door seemed like forever but it could have been moments later I don't know. He was here to basically confirm my worst fears. Mary called family and friends and in no time at all my dear mother-in-law was in my arms sobbing along with me.

The sheriff needed to confirm what Steve was wearing and some of his physical attributes such as 'did he have facial hair'. It struck me at the moment as odd that I couldn't remember what shirt he had on. I described the color of his jacket, the fact he was wearing blue denim Carharts and yes, he had a beard. From there on in I don't remember what happened or in what order. But it seemed like in no time at all my dear friends were here asking what they could do.

Fast forward to today; past the reluctance of the insurance companies to pay out on their policies, the threatened lawsuits, the numerous attorneys and the estate. Today it is no less hectic but I have a goal and I am moving forward. Buying a new 'old' home and selling the old 'old' home is what is occupying my time right now. I hate the packing and moving part but now is when I take the opportunity to reduce the clutter my life. I hope my girls are grateful I am not leaving it for them to deal with...

No comments: